Thursday, November 13, 2014

Calvin Sosibo reflects on his time at Ankaragucu!




Calvin Sosibo could be forgiven if he didn't have any good things to say about his time at Ankaragucu. After all the South African winger is still owed money by the club 5 years after his departure where he only played 3 league games.

Sosibo joined Ankaragucu in the 2009/10 season along with his South African counterpart Kagiso Senemela. Both players arrived at the club very much in the shadow of Darius Vassell who was the clubs big summer signing that season.

After a promising start to his Ankaragucu career, Sosibo would find himself without a club only a few months later after the club failed to pay his wages. This was at the time when Melih Gokcek was taking over the club and bringing in his own players.

Despite the sour ending to his time in Ankara, Sosibo still looks out for the Ankaragucu scores and is a follower of the Round Ball in Ankara page as well as the Facebook page where he even comments on the going on's at the club.

I asked Calvin if he would like to do an interview for the blog on his time at Ankaragucu which he kindly agreed. Here is what he had to say:

Nice easy question to start with, Ronaldo or Messi? Best player? mmm thats very difficult, but I'm going to say Ronaldo.

Which team did you grow up supporting? From my home country Kaiser Chiefs.

How did your move to Ankaragucu come about? My move to Ankaragucu came about when my friend John Shoes Moshoue one of the most highly rated South African players ever to play in Turkey spoke to me about the club. I used to play with him at Kaiser Chiefs and later he joined me at Bidvest Wits where he was training with us. He asked me if i fancied playing my trade abroad and if i would be interested in joining Ankaragucu. I said yes but i was contracted to Bidvest wits. So i sat down with the club and we agreed on a contract, the following week i flew out to Turkey with Kagiso Senemela.

What was your best moment at Ankaragucu? Woooooow there were so many, from the fans reaction when they saw me, to my first game in a pre season friendly match against AEK Athens who were a very reputable team who played in the UEFA Cup, i set up a goal in that match and it was on Greek TV. The reaction from the fans when i played in my first home game in the Ankara cup and even going to the mall people asking for photographs and chatting away.

Who helped you settle in most at the club? Hikmet Karaman, he helped me a lot and gave me the break to showcase my talent in Europe.

How did you find the City of Ankara? I loved my time in Ankara and the history of the City, i read about Akatule and decided to visit the tower.

How was the best player you played with at Ankaragucu? Best player would be my close friend Darius Vassell, Ozgur Semavi and captain Eris Ceyhun.

How would you describe the atmosphere at the club? The club had the best set up i have ever experienced in football. The fans were amazing with the atmosphere, there was a great passion between the fans and players, we loved each other. From the groundsman to the kit man, they done everything for us and all the preparation work to help us on the pitch. The respect the fans and club had for the players was overwhelming, they treated us like kings and it was like nothing I've experienced before.

Do you still follow the clubs results? Yeah i still follow the club, they will always be close to my heart as they gave me an opportunity to better my career.

Whats the next stage with you in your football career? Im on the verge of the next chapter in my career with a move to Europe of Asia, i have a few offers but still deciding which one will decide my style of play. Im just working hard for this next chapter.

Do you have any message for the Ankaragucu fans? Ankaragucu needs the fans in the stadium, you are very important to the club and you owe it to yourselves to be there for the club. Keep following the team.

We at the Round Ball in Ankara would like to thank Calvin Sosibo for taking the time to give us the interview and wish him good luck with his next move in his career.

5 comments:

  1. Great interview Nadeem! Well done...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Nadeem and great interview.

    Thanks also to Calvin for his positive thoughts about his time here and the Club in general and good luck in your next move up the ladder. We look forward to hearing where it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nadeem. Thanks Calvin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great Work! Thanks Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys

    It really is refreshing hearing the things Calvin has to say about life and football.

    In a game ruined by money, he is just a very down to earth guy

    ReplyDelete